This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
This post is all about questions to ask future roommates.
I remember one of the hardest/awkwardest things about choosing who you were going to live with in college was coming up with questions to ask future roommates.
Like, how are you supposed to have full on conversations with them when you don't know anything about them?! It kind of sounds like it would be easier because you have anything and everything to talk about. But it's definitely not.
You also don't want to come off weird haha. I was SO worried about sounding like a freak to people I was talking too.
These are the 27 of the best questions to ask future roommates to get to know them (without sounding weird 😉 ).
Questions To Ask Future Roommates:
1. What's your class schedule like?
2. What's your major?
3. Oh, that's cool! What do you want to do with that?
4. Do you plan to get involved in any clubs on campus already?
5. How did you find out about them, if so?
6. Do you have a job?
7. Are you more of a morning or night person?
WANT A FREE COLLEGE DORM PACKING LIST?
Simplify your college packing with our amazing FREE Dorm Packing List. Simply click the button below to get your College Dorm Packing List delivered straight to your inbox!
8. Have you already purchased some items for your dorm room?
9. Do you have any allergies?
Be sure to ask them how severe their allergies are if they say that they have any, too. That way you have an idea of what you can and cannot have in the room if you choose to live with them!
10. Are You Willing to Split Items for the Dorm That We Will Both Use?
TIP: If they aren't, see if they are willing to buy one thing while you get another. Like you buy the coffee maker, but they buy the microwave. That way it is a somewhat even split!
11. Do you like a room hot or cold?
12. How do you study?
13. Do you have any pets?
14. What do you think about drinking and smoking?
TIP: Your college roommates do not have to have the same stance on these subjects as you do. TBH that's kind of hard to come by! But just make sure that their views on drinking and partying are ones that you can deal with. If not, honestly look for another roommate because it makes the living situation VERY difficult!
15. What are your favorite foods?
16. Do you plan on going through sorority recruitment?
17. What's your favorite way to spend a rainy day?
18. What were you involved in in high school?
19. What's your family like?
20. Are you bringing a car?
21. Do you plan to go home often?
22. Why did you choose this school?
23. What are you most excited about for college?
24. Do you have any friends that are coming to this school?
25. Are you a confrontational person or more passive aggressive?
This question is SO important to ask because you and your roommate will get upset with each other and need to talk it out. So it's important to know how they will handle getting upset so that 1) you can be courteous to them and 2) so that you know how to handle yourself in these situations too!
26. How do you ideally want to decorate your dorm room?
You have to know if your interior designer skills mesh or conflict with theirs because you want ot like your dorm room too! Also, maybe talk budget too.
27. Which dorm hall do you want to live in?
28. What snacks should always be in the room?
29. How do you feel about guests?
This is another very important question to ask a potential roommate because if your philosophies don't align, it makes for another very difficult living situation!
30. Coffee or tea?
31. What are you looking for in an ideal roommate?
32. What's your favorite TV show? Movie?
33. Do you think you will study in your dorm room a lot?
This is a great question to ask so that you can get an idea of what your potential roommate will be expecting out of the room most of the time!
34. What's something you can't live without?
35. What do you want to know about me?
Always kind of end with this or something that will turn the convo back to where they can ask questions about you! It makes it seem a lot less like an interrogation.
want ALL the free college printables?!
Receive all of my most popular College Printables for FREE! Simply click the button below and get all of these sent directly to your inbox.