I'm a sucker for some good ole' mac n cheese with broccoli but I always feel horrible after eating it because it is so dang bad for you . This weekend I was majorly craving it so I googled "healthy mac n cheese recipe" and came upon this recipe from I Food Real.
I was missing some of the ingredients so I adapted it and holy crap was it GOOD. I even used mexican style cheese instead of cheddar, and honestly, I might recommend it over the cheddar cheese.
Highlyyyy recommend you make this...it will not disappoint!!
- 1 box Banzo Chickpea Penne Pasta (or really whatever pasta you want)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- OPTIONAL: brocolli
- In a large pot bring broth, milk, mustard, butter, garlic powder, and salt + pepper to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the entire box of Banza pasta. Make sure to stir every once in a while so that the pasta doesn't stick together.
- Once pasta is done cooking, a lot of the liquid should be gone (it won't be totally gone though). I cooked my Banza pasta for 10 minutes.
- Take the pot off of the stove and add in cheese. Mix until incorporated. If you are adding broccoli, add-in now.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from I Food Real.